For those of you needing some Hump Day humor – and a little perspective – I offer some tidbits from my past life running a Services organization for a software company. One of the teams I was responsible for was customer support – the folks on the phone 12 hours a day who handled all our customer calls and emails. Although our product was a software as a service solution, every client environment was uniquely configured. This made support a challenge.
We had a great team who supported each other through thick and thin. One of them kept a running log of funny things he overheard his colleagues saying to customers. I recently came across this list and thought I’d share it with you – not to make fun of these folks, but to reflect that those folks on the other side of the phone are real people, working hard under often challenging circumstances. They’re being measured on both the volume of customers they serve and the quality of those responses. Sometimes they might say something goofy in the heat of the moment. Give ’em the benefit of the doubt, because they really want to help you.
And here, for your midweek enjoyment, are some of the funnier things our help desk people said to customers:
- “I’m a child of spell-check nation.”
- “Part of my new year’s resolution is less action items, more action.”
- “Forgive me for being proactive, but…”
- “There’s 3 ways to do this. The easy way, the mid-difficult way, and then there’s the platinum way”
- “If you think about it logically, which I was not doing”
- “Like my Dad always says, ‘Why are divorces so expensive? Because it’s worth it.’”
- “I’m from a big banana bread family”
- “When I first saw this tool, I said, ‘we’re drinking our own Kool-Aid here.’”
- “I know you guys are dealing with academics, so you’ve got plenty of Good Will Hunters running around”
- “Feel free to send a premeditated nastygram”
In case you’ve been out of the country lately, you owe it to yourself to check out the Geico Camel and his celebration of Hump Day.