Tomorrow I’m on my way to my 35th Middlebury College reunion. That’s right, 35 years out of college and what did a BA in Biology do for me?
Quite a lot, it turns out, even though I’m working in marketing at a software company and haven’t won the Nobel Prize for my work in molecular biology. Of course I’ve done some stuff, but my 4 years at Middlebury taught me much more important things than functional expertise. So here, with 35 years of perspective and the gray hair to prove it, I offer the top 5 things I got out of a Liberal Arts education in the rolling hills of Vermont:
- Critical Thinking – I got pushed hard at Middlebury to look beyond the surface of things. That hard won skill has served me well not only in business, but also in picking the guy who’s stood by me for 28 years.
- Discipline – I had to do lots of things I didn’t enjoy at college – mandatory phys ed, physics and organic chemistry. I learned to look beyond short term pain to long term gain.
- Broader Horizons – I grew up in small towns and went to college in a small town. But boy did that small college town expand my understanding of other people, other cultures, other times. And maybe even a little more self awareness.
- Humility – I was the “smart kid” in a very small pond in high school. College was a humbling experience that taught me to appreciate my strengths but also acknowledge my weaknesses and work on them.
- Lifelong Friendships – Some of my dearest friends have died, but many are still in my life – if not in person, than via emails and Facebook. We had an intense four years during which we shared study groups, drinking, water fights, cross-country skiing, and angst over our futures. We keep each other honest.
What about you? Do you still feel a college education is worth it?
This week we’re reading about:
BYOD, Cloud Computing Make Network Upgrades a CIO Priority Again: http://www.zdnet.com/byod-cloud-computing-make-network-upgrades-a-cio-priority-again-7000016262/
Obamacare Could Encourage Entrepreneurship, Study Says: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/morning_call/2013/06/obamacare-to-push-67k-ohioans-toward.html
Worried About Your Data in the Cloud? Stop Whining and Get Your Own Cloud:http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2013/05/30/worried-about-your-data-in-the-cloud-stop-whining-and-get-your-own-cloud/
Working Virtually: It Takes Support & Management to Do It the Right Way: http://www.tlnt.com/2013/06/06/working-virtually-it-takes-support-management-to-do-it-the-right-way/
How I Work – @hrbartender Edition http://ow.ly/lEsN9
Top 10 Must Sees in Chicago During #SHRM13 http://ow.ly/lEtqa via @blogging4jobs
Striking a Blow for Work/Life Balance? http://ow.ly/lEtU4 via @HRExecMag
Want More Engaged Workers? You Just Need to Help People Flourish http://ow.ly/lH3TJ via @TLNT_com
RT @WF_Institute: Interesting infographic from HurricaneSandyLawyer.pro on impact of Hurricane Sandy on the workforce http://ow.ly/lJjil
The Boomer-Millennial Workplace Clash: Is it Real? http://ow.ly/lJlCS via @Forbes
Kronites are talking about:
New Time Well Spent #Cartoon: http://ow.ly/lEr2S #AffordableCareAct #ACA #Obamacare #PPACA #HealthcareReform
CEO Ain Says Kronos Hiring Cloud-Savvy Workers:http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/Economics/On_Economy/vpfs_rSSUT3M.mp3
Firefighters Use Kronos Software in Emergency Response:http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/techflash/2013/06/firefighters-use-kronos-software-in.html
Kronos Innovation Awards Recognize Kronos Partners http://ow.ly/lLE6y
The RX for ACA Compliance http://ow.ly/lMJSd via @SmarterCafe
RT @WF_Institute: Team Building – Yea or Nay? http://ow.ly/lHnrO
RT @SmarterCafe: Whether you win or lose a sale, you can always learn to serve your customers better. http://ow.ly/lH9QG #Kronos #cusexp
Beer Ban in the Kronos cloud! http://ow.ly/lMJW8 via @SmarterCafe
Managing a Multi-Generational Workforce http://ow.ly/lMJLU via @WF_Institute
Listen to #Kronos CEO @AronAin on @BloombergRadio with @Kathleen_Hays & @VonnieQuinn: http://ow.ly/lErdd
Genesee County Selects #Kronos to Save Multimillion Dollars http://ow.ly/lF0Oo
Free HR Webcast:Success Begins with Strategy: #HR #Innovation in the Workplace http://ow.ly/lEt3x via @HRDailyAdvisor
We’re participating in @BostonBizJournl’s #socialmadness challenge! Vote for Kronos & help us win money for charity! http://ow.ly/lH2Ym
Demo shows single solution for time & attendance and #HR & #payroll is simple, smart choice. http://ow.ly/lJh8M
Attending #SHRM13? Discover how you can minimize the burden of complying w/ #ACA requirements w/ #Kronos. http://ow.ly/lJm3X
@YarmouthFire use #Kronos software in emergency response http://ow.ly/lLQOC via @BostonBizNews